- The 7.0 total set for the Tampa Bay Rays versus Cleveland Guardians matchup is the second lowest of the evening, and the under is favored with -120 odds.
- Shane Bieber and Jeffrey Springs have proven to be elite pitchers this season, increasing the likelihood that the under hits.
- Tampa Bay’s hitters have struggled against lefties such as Springs, while the Guardians have performed poorly against righties such as Bieber.
TAMPA, Fla. – The Cleveland Guardians travel to Florida to take on the Tampa Bay Rays in what online gambling sites have implied will be a pitcher’s duel.
Guardians Vs. Rays Betting Odds
- ML: Guardians -105
- ML: Rays -115
- Run Line: Guardians +1.5 (-220)
- Run Line: Rays -1.5 (+180)
- Total: Over 7 Runs +100
- Total: Under 7 Runs -120
Pitching Duel Between Bieber and Springs
2019 Cy Young award winner Shane Bieber faces off versus Jeffrey Springs in this matchup between the Rays and Guardians.
MLB gambling sites have set the total for Friday’s game at 7.0, with the under-favored with -120 odds. The 7.0 total is the second lowest of the evening, with only the New York Mets (Chris Bassitt) versus the Miami Marlins (Sandy Alcantara) total of 6.5 lower.
Bieber and Springs have both been off to fantastic starts this season compare very similarly to each other. That reason likely influenced the near pick ’em status of the game.
Key Similarities And A Difference Between Bieber And Springs
- Similarity: Since June, the Guardians are 6-3 in Bieber’s starts while Tampa Bay has gone 6-1 when Springs takes the mound.
- Difference: As the home pitcher, Jeffrey Springs has never had the over hit, with the over/under going 0-5-1. In Bieber’s last six games as the away pitcher, the game has gone over the total five times.
- Similarity: Both pitchers have sported elite earned run averages(ERA) this season. Springs does not qualify for the ERA Title, but if he did, his 2.5 ERA this season would rank ninth. Bieber’s 3.55 ERA ranks 34th.
Betting On The Under Based On Dominant Hand
Heading into Friday’s matchup, both the Rays(53-46) and Guardians(50-48) are above .500 teams. Incredibly, they both have losing records against pitchers with the dominant hands.
- Tampa Bay has gone 11-13 this season versus lefties, possibly putting their batters at a disadvantage tonight versus the left-handed Jeffrey Springs.
- Cleveland has gone 35-36 against pitchers that are right-handed. Shane Bieber is right-handed and therefore may give Tampa hitters some issues.
With the dominant pitching from the individual pitchers and the added advantage each will have of facing lineups weaker against pitchers with the same dominant hand, it may be wise to bet the under at online gambling sites in this pitchers duel.