- West Flagler Associates just filed a second motion in an attempt to block the November 15th online sports betting launch.
- There have been several other legal attempts to block said launch leading up to this one.
- A court hearing has been set for November 5th.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Opposition for a regulated Florida sports betting industry continues to heat up as a new lawsuit has surfaced.
More Litigation Against Florida Sportsbooks Going Live
New legal documentation has come out regarding the ongoing legal battles for Florida’s regulated sports betting future in the form of a “preliminary injunction.” Filed by West Flagler Associates, the injunction comes on behalf of several different Florida pari-mutuels who have been fighting the new gaming compact for some time now.
“Florida has long acknowledged that a bet is placed both where the bettor is located and the bet received and that, under IGRA, no bet can be placed from outside Indian lands,” said the document as shown in a recent tweet from Daniel Wallach.
Although sports wagering has already been made legal via a new compact bill FL SB 2-A, this lawsuit seeks to retroactively undo it under the claims that it’s in violation of a previous compact.
This isn’t the first lawsuit filed in opposition to the new compact. The pari-mutuels filed a previous lawsuit claiming that the new compact violated previously agreed upon legal boundaries, the same as this one.
This new motion intends to block the planned November 15 online sports betting launch in Florida and with the litigation stacking up like it is, that launch may very well have to be delayed further.
The future of Florida sports betting remains uncertain until the date of the hearing, which is currently set for November 5, just 10 days before online wagering is set to launch. Retail sports wagering venues in Florida are still aiming toward an October 15 launch.